Wednesday 20 June 2018

Des O'Connor and Jimmy Tarbuck, Devonshire Park Theatre, Eastbourne 2018

Des O'Connor and Jimmy Tarbuck 

Devonshire Park Theatre 
Eastbourne
20th June 2018

If , like me, you've grown up with either of these 2 monumental legends in entertainment on your TV screens this isn't an experience you want to miss.

It is certainly a production I will never forget for so many reasons. But primarily, if I'm completely honest, because I couldn't help but feel that this may be one of the last chances we will get to enjoy Des O'Connor on tour.

Comedian Jimmy mainly dominates the first half of the show with singer and entertainer Des owning part two after the interval. On occasions, in both halves, these great friends work together.

I'll therefore cover 78 year old "Tarby" first. 78 !! Really ?? I thought he looked and performed as well as a man approaching 80 as he did back in the 80's when he was a regular on the box. 

Fitness wise, well if golf keeps you as fit as Jimmy looks for his age I can see many a wife packing her hubby off to a local club to see if 18 holes works wonders for him !

His wit is as sharp as ever. Like Des, one of those comedians who can have you in stitches without resorting to swearing or gutter level humour. How refreshing that was to see and hear !! 

In addition to entertaining the capacity Devonshire Park Theatre audience with his jokes Jimmy also reminisced about his career with the aid of a big screen on stage. Of course a lot of his memories and indeed Des's involve massively popular entertainers no longer with us. Tarbuck wasn't actually joking when he said most of his days out recently have been funerals. 

Probably everybody in the Eastbourne audience has grown up watching celebrity legends like Morcambe and Wise, Cilla Black, Eric Sykes, Bruce Forsyth, Tommy Cooper, The two Ronnies, Spike Milligan and even Rod Hull and Emu

It isn't until you see somebody like Jimmy or Des discussing so many late, great entertainers you realise just how much talent we've already lost and it does make you very conscious of your own age and mortality. 

Although to try to keep this lighthearted, as I'm sure Des and Tarby would want, one does hope that Emu has been adopted following Rod's early death, is alive and well and hopefully tamed and calmed down a lot by now (at least muzzled if nothing else).

There is probably some sort of script for this show but both of these entertainers are experts and old hands in quips and ad-libs so every performance is going to be completely different on this tour.

Jimmy is one of the few entertainers who I haven't had the privilege of meeting before. Sadly this was no exception as he had to leave very quickly at the end. So that's one autograph which still escapes my collection ! There were actually many hopeful people at the stage door disappointed that Tarby had to escape quickly. But, as always, it's very understandable when performers need to be elsewhere after a show. I attend the stage door with an open mind. If it works, great. But go on the basis that it probably won't happen and then you can't be too disappointed when it doesn't.

I had really looked forward to this experience of seeing Jimmy live for the first time and he was as amazing as I hoped he would be. I hope he continues to tour. Not just because I am still lacking that meeting experience and autograph but because I think he still has so much laughter to deliver to a lot of people who enjoy being cheered up by a genius in his field.

And then there's dear Des O'Connor. One of the nicest guys in show business you could ever wish to meet. I've had the privilege a couple of times. He always has time for anybody who has waited to see him. A lovely, down to earth, perfect gentleman  who just happens to be a gifted singer, entertainer and presenter.

Des is 86 years of age as I write this review. Unfortunately Des's health isn't what it was when I last saw him perform in Eastbourne in 2014. 

Speech wise he realises he struggles a little now and he does need to sit down for most of his performance. All of which is completely understandable for a man of his age.

That didn't stop me having a lump in the throat and indeed a tear in the eye for the second half of this wonderful show. Whilst Des still had the audience roaring with laughter and thoroughly entertained by a few songs I couldn't help but feel that this might be the last time I see this lovely man on tour. He looked as if he was finding it completely exhausting.

I have so much admiration for Des doing this tour with Jimmy. But no matter how entertaining it was I couldn't help but feel that after this tour he should take things a bit easier and put his feet up at home enjoying the love and company of wife Jodie and his family.

Let's not miss Jodie out of this show review either. I don't know if it will be part of every performance but her rendition of Whitney Houston's "I will always love you" was nothing short of perfect. So perfect it got her a well deserved standing ovation ! Only the brave take on the Houston classic. You need to do it justice. In that auditorium she was vocally incredible. The observant would also have noticed the tears in Des's eyes as she belted that out (and I am sure with Des in her heart). I think that is one, very humbling, moment in a show I will never forget.

Like Jimmy, Des uses the on stage screen to talk about his career memories covering both the funny moments and the artists he worked with over the years. As with Tarby, some are still with us, most sadly not. This really is a touring production which will make you laugh, yet want to shed a tear too.

Please, please see Jimmy and Des on this tour if you get the chance. It is live entertainment at it's best from two TV legends. They received what is quite possibly one of the longest and most enthusiastic ovations I have ever seen in Eastbourne. These great entertainers hold great respect from so many.

Incidentally there was a big crowd at the stage door to meet Des. Now I'm normally the first one to hang around in all weathers and for as long as it takes for a meeting and autograph/photo. But in view of Des's health and lack of energy I felt that it was more respectful to give him some peace so he could return to his hotel. I'm not telling anybody what to do in this respect but I do think that there are times when even celebrities need their own space. This was one such moment.

Thank you Des and Jimmy for a fabulous night's entertainment in Eastbourne. You have my complete respect.






Print This Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you in advance for your show comment or feedback